The Space at the Westbury Theater is kicking off 2017 by bringing the sounds of some of Long Island and greater NY’s hottest musical acts and tributes to great bands, as well as the best decades in popular music and headline performers to their Main Stage and the All Music Inc. Lounge at 250 Post Ave in Westbury.
The Space is the latest, and perhaps most spectacular example of visionary real estate developers who reinvent abandoned buildings — this time the almost century-old Westbury Theater — and give them a new lease on life.
The venue has been blessed with amazing partners, such as concert promoters, The Bowery Presents, who work hard at bringing the freshest and most inventive talent into the room, and with strong support and love from the local community.
A few of the most recent highlights of shows and events at The Space from this past year include performances by Gogol Bordello, America, Steve Vai, Three Dog Night, The Long Island Music Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, The B-52’s, Henry Rollins, Ben Folds, The Wailers, Hot Tuna, Los Lonely Boys, Randy Newman, Steele Pulse and many more.
Each of these artists brought their own life and vibe to the facility.
There have also been incredible gala events with the Gold Coast International Film Festival and some of the most exquisite and extravagant private parties that the area has ever seen.
Some of the venue’s upcoming performances on the Main Stage include: WFUV Presents Drive-By Truckers with guest Kyle Craft on Friday, Feb. 10; comedian Artie Lange on Saturday, Feb. 11; The B-Street Band: The Original Bruce Springsteen Tribute with guest Any Way You Want It in A Tribute to Journey on Saturday, Feb. 18; The Lords of 52nd Street, Billy Joel’s Original Backing Band, on Friday, March 10; The Flaming Lips on Saturday, March 11, Steve Winwood on Thursday, April 20, and many others.
The All Music Inc. Lounge will also include acts on Thursdays and Fridays, such as Steve Urban on Feb. 2, City Alley on Feb. 23, The Gallo McNeely Road Rage Comedy Tour on March 9, An Evening with The David Clark Band on April 6, plus much and more.
Following is a full list of the upcoming winter/spring performances for the Main Stage:
* Saturday, Feb. 4: Half Step- Grateful Dead Tribute
* Friday, Feb. 10: WFUV Presents Drive-By Truckers with guest Kyle Kraft
* Saturday, Feb. 11: Artie Lange
* Friday, Feb. 17: To Hell and Black- AC/DC Tribute with guest Decadia
* Saturday, Feb. 18: The B-Street Band: The Original Bruce Springsteen Tribute with guest Any Way You Want It in A Tribute to Journey
* Sunday, Feb. 19: Beth Hart
* Friday, Feb. 24: Triton Fights 1
* Saturday, Feb. 25: Wonderous Stories-The Concert for Bangladesh Re-visited (An All Star Tribute to George Harrison)
* Friday, March 10: The Lords of 52nd Street-Billy Joel’s Original Backing Band
* Saturday, March 11: The Flaming Lips with guest Clipping
* Friday, March 17: The Fast Lane-A Tribute to The Eagles
* Saturday, March 25: Last In Line- Original Members of Dio
* Thursday, March 30: Ann Wilson of Heart
* Thursday, April 20: Steve Winwood
* Friday, April 21: Bianca Del Rio
* Saturday, April 29: Genessa & The Selena Experience-A Tribute to Selena Quintanilla-Pérez
The All Music Inc. Lounge will feature the following acts:
* Friday, Feb. 3: I Ignite
* Thursday, Feb. 9: Geotribe and Ghost Orchid
* Thursday, Feb. 16: The Joni Project-Handful of Chords-The Como Brothers
* Thursday, Feb, 23: City Alley
* Thursday, March 2: The Deeds
* Thursday, March 9: The Gallo McNeely Road Rage Comedy Tour
* Thursday, March 16: Buttered Soul and The Testifiers
* Thursday, March 23: Handful of Chords-Frankel Sisters-Bryce Larsen
* Thursday, March 30: Powderfinger and The Joni Project
* Thursday, April 6: An Evening with The David Clark Band
The Space management is actively scouting for talented musicians to appear at The Lounge.
Please send audition tapes, videos and resumes to Ashley@thespaceatwestbury.com or email Rick@Rickeberle.com
In addition to being a concert hall, lounge, and movie theatre, The Space at the Westbury Theatre is a unique event place.
With some creativity and vision, you can turn The Space into the venue of your dreams and create a truly memorable event to last a lifetime.
With flexible seating plans and state of the art light and sound systems, The Space provides an exciting palette for the creative producer, event, party and meeting.
Additionally, The All Music Inc. Lounge at The Space is like a second venue inside the same walls, with its own bar that can accommodate up to 125 patrons and can be used for receptions prior to special events, as well as the presentation of musicians, comedians and other performers.
The Lounge’s warm and inviting atmosphere is an ode to The Space’s former life as a movie theater, featuring a granite bar, lighting fixtures created from vintage movie reels and decorated with showcases which display antique film projectors.
Plus, all of the shows on the Main Stage at The Space are also live streamed to be viewed at The Lounge at no cost to enter.
The Space was born with a different name on November 10, 1927 as The Westbury Movie Theater.
The Westbury Movie Theater opened its doors to an audience that awed at the beauty of its Tudor style inspired auditorium.
The feature for opening night was “Hula” starring Ciara Bow.
The Westbury Theatre was one of six theaters built by Salvatore Calderone in Nassau County.
The theater succeeded as a single screen house until it was matched in the late 1970s.
As patronage decreased, the theater closed its doors.
Over ten years ago, Cyrus Hakakian and his partners saved the Westbury Theater from demolition.
After viewing the stunning space, he was determined to preserve the magnificence of the original theater while repurposing the facility to accommodate all aspects of contemporary entertainment.
With the installation of the state of the art lighting and sound systems, combined with the flexible seating plans, the Westbury Theater now enters a new chapter of its illustrious history as The Space at Westbury.
You can feel the magic the moment the audience sees the spectacular LED marquee enhancing the outstanding new façade.
A graceful tower provides downtown Westbury with an architectural landmark as histrionic glamour returns to Post Avenue.
The excitement extends to the theaters south side on Winthrop Street with a new double-story valet grand entrance, as the audience enters the threshold with its soaring ceiling while immersed in the glow of magical lighting.
It is apparent that every detail has been considered to make a visit to The Space at Westbury a memorable experience.
For more information on The Space and upcoming attractions, please go to: www.thespaceatwestbury.com or call 516-283-5566.