A fire occurred in the basement of a Port Washington home last week, according to Port Washington Fire Department Chief Brian Waterson.
Officials were notified of the fire at 38 Middle Neck Road at 12:30 p.m. on Nov. 24, he said. Fire departments responded within minutes, and firefighters located the source of the flames in the basement of the two-story home. Waterson said the fire was extinguished within 30 minutes, and a search revealed that no one was home at the time and no injuries to officials who responded were reported.
The fire was reportedly traced to contents in the basement that were stored close to the heating unit. Officials, in a Facebook post, reminded residents that no items should be stored anywhere near a heating unit.
Waterson said the Port Washington Fire Department was aided at the scene by the Manhasset-Lakeville Fire Department and the Roslyn Highlands Fire Department. The Great Neck Vigilant Fire Company, the Albertson Fire Company, and the Glenwood Fire Company were on standby to tend to any other alarms in the Port Washington fire district, officials said.